Sunday 1 December 2013

Working back into a past project..

I'm still playing catchup!  A few weeks ago I got out a Christmas project from last year (which I don't think I posted on here about).  I'd had a niggling desire to stitch into this right from the begining.. but my lovely man convinced me to leave it be.  Gary loves naked felt - no embroidery.  He usually likes it once it IS embroidered too.. I think he just gets a little nervous incase stitching ruins it :)  Well, last year it went in my shop and didn't sell so THIS year it got a revamp!

This is how it started out:

First thing I wanted to do was embroider words from the Christmas hymn that inspired the picture..

My first move when adding text is always to print it out in the font
I like and experiment with size and position
Next I trace it onto tissue paper..
 pin it in place.. and freemotion embroider through it
I used the zig-zag stitch this time as there was a bigger area to fill
Then I started adding stars..
Outlining and adding extra detail
Windows and shadows
Finished.. the photo out of focus though..

Now because I am a nosey parker who LOVES to see the back of any embroidered piece :)


Here it is :)
Looks like a pencil drawing

I'm really happy with it now :)  I just posted it in my Etsy shop but think I'm probably too late for it to sell this Christmas.  Next year it may be joined by a 'We Three Kings' panel :)  

Hope you are all enjoying the run up to Christmas..  I can't believe it is the 1st of December already!

TTFN
xx

6 comments:

Heather Woollove said...

Fantastic, Deborah! I think the additions really enhance your work. XO

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

I think it looks stunning - I love the back, too!
Liz x

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you Heather & Liz :)
Liz, I love seeing the back of embroidery.. if I cant peek at it I feel like I'm only getting half the story :)
xx

Terriea Kwong said...

Both sides are impressive. More detail after embroidery. Love it. I do like the way you make pity my sewing machine can not make it.

Lyn said...

I like it very much with the embroidery! Beutiful colours too.

I often turn pieces over and like what I see.

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks girls :)

Terrie, my machine is a very cheap basic one.. I just use a darning foot to allow me to free motion embroider. Might be worth checking if you can buy a darning foot for your sewing machine. x

Lyn, I always think the back of an embroidery finishes the story :) x