Monday 19 January 2015

A field trip to see The Darker Side of Felt

A touring exhibition which is just a few miles from here at the moment, at the Bilston Craft Gallery (it's free admission and there till the end of Jan if you are local and interested in visiting).  

A few days ago I went along with my friend and fellow feltmaker Gill Ambler (hello Gill :) ..  I thought you might like to see a few pics..  I should warn you the second picture shows the first piece we saw.. which is rather explicit!

I really liked the big felt banner :)
Rachel Olin - Lust
Rachel Olin - Wrath
Rachel Olin - Envy
I love the hair on Wrath and Envy!  Rachel has created the Seven Deadly Sins, all of which are on display.
Maria Friese
Marjolean Dallinga Hanging Sculpture
& Horst Couture Dresses
Barbara Keal
There are quite a few of Barbara's fabulous Headdresses there..
There were also exquisitely made Holy Bowls by Gladys Paulus which I'm afraid I don't have photos of.. I must confess now to a real phobia of holes that I've had since childhood, so I didn't spend the time over these bowls that they deserve.

We really enjoyed our morning there, and had a lovely lunch at a local cafe to finish the outing off in style :)

5 comments:

Els said...

Yes, a very special exhibition

Terriea Kwong said...

Such amazing exhibits. Wish I were there to view them. The big installation art is impressive.

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Deborah
I saw this exhibition at Sleaford last year and really enjoyed seeing how the artists used felt to make so many different pieces with such interesting textures. The bowls you mentioned did look like ceramic - it was difficult to believe they were wool. My blog post about it is here (though the bowls do feature) http://feltabulous.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/black-sheep-darker-side-of-felt.html
Best wishes
Ellie

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks for taking us along with you, Deborah!!

Gill said...

Thanks for a lovely day Deborah! I should have taken a pic of Gladys' bowl! Definitely worth a special mention. I wish there had been more of her work there. I've also looked further into Maria Friese's work - she has made some interesting things too - http://www.mariafriese.com/#!galere/c13rk
Gill x