After laying out the bag and drawing the design took so long, I ended up leaving this till the next day to felt. I worked it HARD, got loads of shrinkage and a nice sturdy felt. The sari fabric worked really well for the motifs I think.. these are my favourite bits :)
|The tussah silk on the inside really lightens it up|
The felted bag was just the right size.. with a nice roomy bell bottom and 2 integral pockets. The only 'problem' was I know that I'd be tempted to everload it due to its size.. and though it could easily carry weight the handles would end up distorting. They needed reinforcing!
So, I felted a matching piece of felt and cut it to match the shape of the upper part of the bag. I did it in 2 pieces which met at the sides of the bag. Carefully pinned then hand stitched it in place.
|Blanket stitched handle reinforcing.. and integral pockets. The mobile phone pocket is near to the top so you don't have to go delving into the bags depths when it rings|
|Lovely and sturdy now :)|
Project finished. Tree of Life design out of my head & I'm a happy bunny