Wednesday 5 March 2014

Spring inspired..

This better weather really has lifted my spirits.. made me realise the months of constant rain had gotten me down more than I knew.  I just HAD to make something 'Springy'.. but what?

Looking at all the green shoots appearing, a hat grew in my mind :)


An oddly shaped beret..
with 3 fine layers of merino and tussah silk fibre in several shades of green
3 green felted cords with fluffy root ends
adding to the outer layer black and green silk fibre and a spiral..
looking like a hedgehog with crazy eyes at the moment :)
attaching the fluffy roots of the cords to the ends of the
3 spikes to become tendrils
Now it looks like a tentacled deep sea beasty with a big eye :)
marking the head opening with tailors chalk
cutting a strip from the piece removed..
I stretched this strip out, felting and shaping it till it was solid
Fully felted and rinsed.. sitting on a hat block to dry..
I needed more height to allow for the tendrils
The strip from earlier became a small upturned brim..
I securely hand stitched it in place after drying

I hand stitched glass, stone and copper beads and findings on as and where they felt right

From the back..
and front..
copper and stone

7 comments:

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Gorgeous! Love the texture of the felted wool. A wee bit of the rasta thing going on there!

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks Kerry :) Gotta love dreads! xx

GreenDotCreations said...

Very nice and organic! I like it! :-)

Abigail Thomas said...

This is really beautiful.

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you :)
x

Kelly said...

I always love how your hats turn out. I can totally relate to dreary weather blahs, luckily ours probably don't last near as long as yours do. Spring is just around the corner.

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks Kelly :) We've had beautiful sunshine for the last 4 days.. it's been a real treat (I keep wondering when it's going to go cold and dreary again..)
xx