I decided to make a bag again this month.. and the pattern was rather influenced by my new thermal socks :) which have nice diamond patterns on. There seem to be a lot of diamond patterned things in the shops this autumn..
This was definitely an experimental bag! I tried out a new handle technique.. new way of inserting a zip.. new shape.. and of course - new fibre... And I remembered to take photos at each stage.. good going for me :)
|Firstly I made the handle.. basically a cord with a metal ring at each end|
|The resist has extensions at the top to make loops for attaching the rings..|
and a flap taped on at the bottom to make a wide bottom
|I must confess I didn't have enough Black Welsh to make this.. so I cheated a little|
by using white Falkland inside.. which will also make it easier to see what's inside
|I cut diamonds from prefelt.. the green is commercial, the red and orange my own|
|carefully arranged :)|
I did both sides the same
|Then added a row of gemstone beads (Judit style).. the wool yarn they were threaded on|
was covered with fibre
|Part way through..|
The light looks funny 'cos it was dark now so I had the light on
|Inside pocket.. thought a little prefelt detail would be nice :)|
I wanted to add a zip to the top of the bag, but wanted to try another way I'd thought of doing the internal flaps to fix it to (rather than the resist method used last time).
|I made strong prefelt, stronger than prefelt really.. more an unfinished felt -|
and cut a couple of strips.
|Which I pinned in place then hand stitched with woollen yarn..|
|The bag was not fully felted at this point but it was well on the way |
(both the bag and flaps were at about the same stage of felting).
- I wanted the two to felt together so paid plenty of attention to the join.
I worked this HARD.. I mean really long and hard.. with boiling water etc. till it was fully felted.
Notice the wide flat area in the middle of the handle for sitting on the shoulder.
|Lots of pins used to hold the zip in..|
|All sewn in :)|
I hand stitched it with upholstery thread
|the finished inner pocket|
|Stitching the extrusions..|
I threaded the ring on then stitched it down to form a loop
|I'm really pleased with how this worked out..|
This way of doing the zip flaps worked just as well as the other..
I don't think it was less work or faster, but it may be easier
|I just LOVE these Picasso Jasper beads.. they are so pretty and colourful|
|Perfect for wearing across the body..|
(think I need to steam and block it again to get those creases out)
|Very comfy on the shoulder|
For comparison to sampling data:
Resist size: 50cm x 55.5cm
Finished size: 35cm x 37.5cm
Shrinkage: 30% x 32%
Weight: 470g (this includes gemstones, metal rings and the zip)
I used 2 layers of white Falkland inside and 4 layers of Black Welsh outside. Even though it was slower to felt with than most of the other fibres I use I really do love the finished felt and would use it again. I found (carefully) using boiling water in the final stage really tightened things up and finished it off very nicely.
The cords were also a little slower but they did felt well!