Still following the hand print / cave art theme I decided to felt a shawl.. the inspiration was one of my favourite cave painting images:
|Spotted Horses - Pech Merle Cave, France|
I didn't take photos of the early layout stage.. I was just so excited to be finally making it - it's been in my head for ages. It pretty much filled my 8ft x 4ft table at the widest points.. laid out in the shape I wanted the finished piece to be.
I started off by laying down mawata silk hankies and throwsters waste silk fibre, followed by a white merino/tussah silk blend, then a colour layer. THEN I started 'drawing' the horses :) and adding handprints.. this all took hours.
|This was a couple of hours into day 2.. |
just finishing the design layer
|I'd added white Wensleydale locks between layers to create an irregular fringe..|
now I placed them on top of the design too (lightly veiling each lock to help it attach).
|I covered the main image with thin builders plastic after wetting|
to prevent it from moving around while I rubbed. I actually left it in place
when I started rolling too, the thought of anything moving around was just to scary to be risked
|Part way through rolling.. |
I was so pleased that everything stayed just where I put it :)
After LOTS of rubbing, rolling and throwing I got this:
|The finished size is 63" x 24" (160cm x 61cm)|
|I wanted it to have a sort of 'skin-like' character to be in keeping with cave painting..|
Much as I LOVE the outside..
|I also really love the simple inside too..|
As well as the silk textures there's a ghost image of the outer design
|My cheeky Little Miss modelling for me in the woods :)|
Now I have another one in mind using the colours differently.. there'll be more about that when it finds it's way out of my head.
I have actually put this one in my Etsy shop.. but I love it so much I don't really want to part with it. I think I shall have to make another as soon as possible - it won't be the same but at least I can have one to keep and one to sell :)