aaargh where is the time going?! I truly intend to blog more often this year.. but time keeps on running away!
In my last post I showed you my first 'Hobbit hat'.. it was a definite trial and error learning curve, though I'm please with how it turned out and best of all it's a keeper :) I was determined to keep going till I figured out the resist shape needed.. I finally got the resist right on my third try. This post follows the second hat and I'll post about the third tomorrow.
Hat #2 was very similar to the first one; same colours and design inspiration.. but I added lots of tussah silk fibre to the outside. I also worked it the same way - inside out (unlike the third hat!).
Here it is in pictures:
|The first hat on its' resist.. note the shrinkage|
|Made a new resist - this time with the flaps on.|
Laid outer design directly onto the resist
then scattered tufts of tussah silk ontop
|Covered it all with merino layers|
|Added pieces of sari silk ontop of the final fibre layer |
(lightly veiling the cut edges, frayed /torn edges tend to felt in well without veiling).
I decided to go for a mosaic of 3 different silk sari fabrics for this one
|Hat #1 (left) and #2 newly removed from resist.. I roughly cut it into shape|
and carried on working it till it was firmer
|I had made a paper templat of the shape I wanted the hat to be..|
using tailors chalk I marked the cutting lines on the felt
|I find this very useful as it marks well even on damp felt|
|left to dry on the hat block.|
I start off with pins holding the flap up but take them out as soon as possible
so they don't leave indentations in the felt
The earflaps are more'Bofur-ish' now.. handing down rather than curling back up
|PERFECT in snowy weather!|
|Rolling and playing in the snow :)|
Jess (the black one) was on a mission to eat as much as she possibly could
|Funny little rascals|