Thursday 4 July 2013

Image transfer experiment

As promised :)  this is the first piece I made with the silk I printed (with my inkjet printer & BubbleJet Set) from the last post.

This was the piece of silk chiffon.. I'd printed beautiful words from Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte:


'I was only going to say that heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke sobbing for joy. That will do to explain my secret, as well as the other. I've no more business to marry Edgar Linton than I have to be in heaven; and if the wicked man in there had not brought Heathcliff so low, I shouldn't have thought of it. It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am.  Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.'


I decided to make a beret.   I used 2 layers of merino on my usual resist.



Adding mawata silk hankies, linen and silk fibre..
then cutting the sections of text and placing them.  This chiffon
just melts into the felt so no need to veil the edges.
Added a vague landscape with alpaca/wool blend boucle yarn and grey
merino then drew a wind torn tree in charcoal merino.
Second side..  the circle of words is to run around the brim.
Part way through felting.. all is going well, the text is visible and HASN'T run! yay
After rolling I threw it for a while :)
Drying in the breeze.. I was sooo excited at this point
I'd had to really stretch the words out around the brim..
so the text shape has changed but they are very easily readable.. just a little wider
Not really photographed this bit so well.. even the script is clearly
readable :) 
So pleased with how the tree turned out too :)
I'm a happy girl!
I just LOVE this!  I love Wuthering Heights, and that the text shows up so very well.. its like the hat is made from super soft pages..  Can't wait to try the technique again :)

xoxo

13 comments:

Abigail Thomas said...

wow; it worked so well!! really great work. well done. worth all the work with the transfer stuff.

Terriea Kwong said...

Happy girl Deborah. Love the pretty beret with prints. How creative and talented you're!

Kelly said...

Fabulous results!!

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you girls :)
xoxo

Wendy said...

wow that is amazing!

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks Wendy :)

Unknown said...

Fantastyczny pomysł. Jestem pod wielkim wrażeniem.

Virginia said...

Wow! What a fabulous, unique hat! It looks great! And thank you for the wonderful, clear progress photos.

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you Karolina & Virginia :)
Glad you like it xx

Unknown said...

Wow! Thank you for showing another great idea! You are very creative :)

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you, and you are welcome Karolina :)
x

Ali said...

Fantastic! What a fabulous result - how amazing to have Cathy's passion, thoughts of Heathcliff and the wilds of the moors keeping your head warm! Wonderful words...and soooo many possibilities for future projects!
Magical!
Ali x

FeltersJourney said...

We must be kindred spirits Ali! Thank you :)
x