This is the one that I didn't show in the last post. I've been wanting to do a Gandalf hat for aaages and just not gotten around to it. A few weeks ago I DID! But things didn't go to plan.. This was the first pointy hat I'd made in 2 years so had forgotten the past experience, which might explain a lot.
I wanted to make a long, crumpled and bent looking hat just like Gandalf wears in the films.. So I decided to use 4 layers, thoroughly felted, so it was strong and self supporting - I didn't want it to flop!
|I made a looong resist..|
and enclosed it in 4 layers. Inside was dark grey merino, then white Falkland, followed by 2 layers of lighter grey merino. I worked it hard and felted it down so it was lovely and strong.. I net it into shape and it stayed there a treat
|Drying on my big block (with cling film to keep the canvas block dry)|
The problem was it was just to long! It did not look right at all! And it wouldn't shrink down any more.. So I cut the end off! Then cut a gusset so I could stitch it back into a point. I did work the felt a little more and managed to lose the stitching a little.. it's still there but not really noticable.
|I'm happy with the shape and length of the point now..|
and the brim looks better on than placed on the table top, it's still the same shape as it was on the block
Now I did catch my husband trying this on :) I've told him I want him to wear it to the Middle Earth weekend in Moseley next year :)
But to be honest it isn't really any good for wearing.. it's too thick and stiff. Makes a nice ornament though , I think I shall offer it to the Museum where I used to work.. see if they want it for their Halloween displays, they often do fantasy events too so I reckon it would be a good home for it.
Lesson learned = 4 fibre layers is just toooo much for a hat!