Last time I made a mad hatter top hat I had a thought for a new resist shape.. Since I have a couple of upcoming hat projects I decided to try out my idea on this first experiment. I was going to use white merino for my trial run, but decided to use my scraps batts instead :)
This should be fun! No knowing what will happen with all the crazy colours.. will they go muddy? Or make my heart sing?
|My 3 wildly colourful batts..|
|Mostly red toned batt for the inner layer|
|Mostly purple toned batt for the 2nd layer|
|The 3rd and outer layer is the middle batt in the top photo|
|Turned inside out; rubbing the top of the hat to strengthen and shape it|
|Drying out :) |
I added a little weight to the brim to keep it flat
I LOVE how the colours are looking! It is somewhat taller than I had envisioned though :) Going to have to wait a little while to be finished off properly, I am looking for the perfect (to me) band.. I'll post about it again when I finish off.
|My old hat on the right shows the height I expected to get :)|
For my new resist I used the same height in between the brim and where I thought the top began..
|Old 3D resist on top, with a flange to widen the top|
On the new resist I added more of a dome at the top of the crown instead of using a flange.. Turns out more of the 'height' must of been drawn over to make the wide top than I realised with the old resist. Next step is to make another new resist.. but shorter :) I do love the shape and look of the hat I made.. but it's too tall for a slider, and too similar to others that are already out there!